The Gila River Indian Community has a reservation land area of nearly 640 square miles or 372,000 acres, located just south of and adjancent to the metropolitan areas of Phoenix, Tempe, Chandler, and Queen Creek. The cities of
Florence and Coolidge are just to the east of the Community boundaries; additional, Casa Grande and the town of Maricopa are located just south of the Gila River Indian Community. The Tribal administrative offices and departments are located in Sacaton, Arizona and serve residents throughout the seven community districts.
The Gila River Indian reservation was established by an act of Congress in 1859, and the Gila River Indian
Community was federally-recognized by Congress in 1939. The community is home to the Akimel O’otham (Pima)
and the Pee-Posh (Maricopa) tribes.